Friday, April 27, 2012

Tell A Story Day

Today, April 27th, is Tell a Story Day here in the United States. In England and Scotland this holiday is celebrated on October 27th. Today celebrates all forms of story-telling - fiction and non-fiction. Maybe you have a great tall-tale or a folk-tale to tell. It would be a terrific day to share stories from your family's past. Those stories are important to share before family histories are forgotten.

------

Do I Get To Go Home?

When I was a child, my family drove from Cherry Hill, NJ to Nova Scotia, Canada. What a terrific education experience for any child. It was supposed to be a grand adventure. My adventure was slightly more terrifying than the rest of the family's.

See, when we drove across the border into Canada, I was a sleep. My older brother seized the opportunity to torment his little sister. When I woke, he told me that the border guard had not counted me and that meant I was not going to get to return to the United States. At 7, I believed him. I also knew that my father was going to be furious with me. What a mess. Thankfully, my brother told me not to mention it to Dad until he was positive he could not think of a way to sneak me back across the border. For the next two weeks, I fretted about being stuck in Canada for the rest of my life.

Obviously, the little twerp lied to me and I got to come home.

------

Ok, it was not much of a story. But, in honor of Tell a Story Day, I am sharing this small piece of my childhood. Someday, I might tell you about the Hook Monster. Yes, that is another invention of my brother.

8 comments:

  1. I liked that. Thank for sharing it. I was the oldest brother of 4 kids, so I'm sure I did similar things to my siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Childhood stories? Mine were mostly made up by my dad. My brother and I were Braveheart and Monkey Business (I was small, and forget why). Apparently we stormed castles, fought pirates, and generally went on many adventures together... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, childhood stories always change as to which member of the family you ask. I take it you got revenge on him then or you've started getting it back on him now you're older. You tend to find that writers are inventive as to revenge ploys. One of the things I've done recently is found out that a toy store has Captain America appearing there near my nephew. Now I'm assuming its just a guy in a costume, but I sent my nephew an invitation from "SHIELD" inviting him to meet Captain America with the location and time on it.

    Yes it might seem bad or evil but I hope it'll be something he remembers in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a picture of me sitting on Spiderman's lap wearing a Batman t-shirt. I must have been about 3 at the time.

      Delete
  4. “I’ve never been a child. Or if I was, I don’t remember.”

    :)

    A quote from one of my stories, but probably sums my own feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, that's terrible... I'm glad you got to come home. Thanks for sharing!

    Julie/Firewolf

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is freakin funny! Glad I didn't have any brothers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brothers! I don't have a brother but my son is a brother and he sure knows which buttons to push.

    ReplyDelete