Friday, March 16, 2012

March Tidbits

  • March was the first month of year until we switched to the Gregorian calendar in 1752.
  • One superstition is that if Easter falls on Lady Day (March 25) some disaster  to England will soon fall.
“When the Lord falls in my Lady’s lap
England beware some mishap”
  • Narcissus is the the flower most associated with March. It is also known as wild daffodil or Lent Lilly. This is the main daffodil species of Britain.
  • I was born in March.
  • March’s birthstone is aquamarine.
  • March was named for the Roman god, Mars –the god of war.
  • A farming superstition is that if rain falls during the first three days of March there will be a bad harvest.

March sayings:
  • A dry March and a wet May fill barns and bays with corn and hay.
  • As it rains in March so it rains in June.
  • When March come in like a lion it goes out like a lamb.
  • March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing a little knowledge and culture into my otherwise philistinian (is that even a word? It should be...) existance.

    Another UK March saying: "Mad as a March hare." Springtime brings out the bucks who box and spar in the fields...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that I missed "Mad as a March hare." Thanks for reminding me of this one. It is not often heard around here. But, my mother used to say this quite frequently.

      Delete
  2. LOL, my sis just celebrated her 30th Birthday. So we're currently in the same decade. YAY. (Her's was March 8th.)

    You also missed: As mad as a March Hare.

    Although knowing you Grem, its probably true. LOL

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Belated Birthday to your sister. I was supposed to be born on the 8th of March. Alas, I was late. I do not think Dad has ever truly forgiven me for this. To this day, if you ask him when my birthday is, he will respond March 8th.

      Delete
    2. LOL, Rowena was an 8th March baby. Funny thing was, it was also my Gran's birthday. After a family party. My Gran turned round and said "Tell you what, how's about having the baby after the washing up." Low and behold guess what happened. LOL

      Delete
  3. Thereis a saying about the last three days of March being borrowed from April that I also did not mention.

    'March said to Aperill,
    I see three hoggs'' upon a hill,
    And if you'll lend me dayes three,
    I'll find a way to make them dee.
    The first o' them was wind and weet,
    The second o' them was snaw and sleet,
    The third o' them was sic a freeze,
    It froze the birds' nebs to the trees:
    When the three days were past and gave,
    The three silly hoggs came hirpling' hame.'

    I am sorry that I do not know who to contribute this too. I memorized it as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psst - I think you meant "attribute" ;)

      Delete
    2. Yep, that is what I meant. Teach me to write post at 1 AM and not proof-read before hitting publish in the morning.

      Delete
  4. I love the smells of March. The wind carries with it the scent of Spring and I love just standing in the sun, feeling the wind on my face, taking one deep breath after another :) I can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...lots of neat information about March...I have a couple of good friends with birthdays this month so it's always been a favourite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was born in March too! :) Happy birthday to us.

    ReplyDelete