Sunday, March 18, 2012

Youth and the American Red Cross

As I mentioned in my last Red Cross post, I started my volunteer career with the organization as a teenager. As I put on my jumper for my first day at Huntsville Hospital, I joined the proud heritage of American youth performing public service.

Some Junior Red Cross Facts
In 1884, six youngsters conducted the first known American Red Cross youth activity. These six children performed a play in Waterford, PA that raised $50. They donated these funds to the three-year old American Red Cross.

On September 15, 1917, President Wilson officially announced the formation of the Junior Red Cross. He asked our country’s youth, “Is not this perhaps the chance for which you have been looking to give your time and efforts in some measure to meet our national needs…?”

Since that call, the Junior Red Cross has meet needs across our nation and around the globe. They have helped during wars, the depression, disasters, and other emergencies. The Junior Red Cross taught good citizenship and instilled in youth a spirit of internationalism.

In 1942, College units were added to the Junior Red Cross. Almost every US campus hosted some type of Red Cross activity.These activities ranged from organizing student groups to offering Red Cross training courses.

In 1946, they introduced an new program. The International Student Work-Study program brought American and foreign secondary and college students together.

In 1947, The Junior Red Cross began the High School Chest Program. This project sent school supplies to students who lost them in natural disasters. The program benefited not only students within the United States but those overseas as well.

However, despite a rich history of service the Junior Red Cross began to decline during the 1960s. Maybe competitions from other youth organizations – like the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or YMCA – contributed to this. Or perhaps, it was the new teacher union regulations. These new regulations made the program an after school activity to be conducted by teachers on a voluntary basis. Some blame youths becoming more self-absorbed; that student interest in public service and international affairs has decreased. I don’t know. Maybe it is a combination of all of these factors.

In the 1970’s, the Junior Red Cross’s name was changed to Red Cross Club or Youth Corps. During this time, youth volunteers not associated with the clubs were blended into mainstream Red Cross service.

The community that I first volunteered in did not have a Junior Red Cross. But, the local chapter did distribute volunteer opportunities for youth to the local schools. I was lucky. My English teacher shared these opportunities with our class. However, many youth possessing a desire for public service find it difficult to learn about volunteer opportunities available to them.

I am proud that both my children volunteered as teens for the American Red Cross. My son served wherever asked. My daughter volunteered in disaster services with me and as a HIV-AIDS Teen Peer Counselor.  During that time, I finally got to experience the Red Cross Club as an adult leader.

If you know a youngster who volunteers for the American Red Cross or any other organization, please, take a moment to thank them. All volunteers deserve our gratitude, but it is especially important to demonstrate it to those just beginning their journey. Remember, a person who volunteers as a youth is more likely to continue volunteering as an adult…especially if they have a positive experience.

2 comments:

  1. Emma,
    Another wonderful tribute and its a great thing to hear how much you and your own family give back to your local community. I used to do Hospital Radio and absolutely loved it. The experience is something I still cherish and I think others should look at doing something to better thier own community rather than sitting on thier backsides complaining about standards.

    If everyone did devote just a few hours a week, imagine what could be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that Hospital Radio was a good experience for you.

      I once asked my father why I did not get money for chores like my friends did. He responded, "You get an allowance to learn to be responsible with money. You do chores because you are a member of this household."

      When I got older he told me, "Remember, you do chores because you live here. You needed to volunteer because you are a member of the community." I have always thought that those were wise words.

      Delete