Sunday, February 12, 2012

5 Things I am Doing for My Heart

 
  1. Move more! Park the car and walk to spots less than two miles away unless I have to carry more than my backpack holds.
  2. Consuming more beta-carotene rich foods! Carrots, sweet potatoes, dark leafy greens and even apricots are rich in beta-carotene and so yummy. Add the fact that they can reduce your stroke risk by 40% and it’s a win-win.
  3. Get and give hugs! Studies have shown that people who are touched lovingly often have fewer heart problems than the control group. I just have to be careful that those I hug want one.
  4. No fad or crash diets! While I would love to be skinny, frequent dieting and restrictive diets can weaken the heart muscle. Instead, I am going to make eating lifestyle changes is improve the quality of my diet. Small steps that can last a lifetime.
  5. Reduce the sodium in my food! I’m avoiding prepackaged foods. Substituting other seasonings for salt. Did you know that oregano on subs can fool your palate into thinking you have added salt?
Small steps are easier to maintain. Why don’t you pick a few little things you can do to improve your cardiac health? Try them for American Heart Month. Maybe the changes will last a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment