Monday, February 6, 2012

Psychic Calendars?

My desk calendar informed me that today is the birthday of Natalie Cole, Babe Ruth, and Aaron Burr. Then, in bright letters it reminded me of the pain radiating from my shoulder blade to my elbow. Yes, today is Lame Duck Day. Wow, my calendar's creators are psychic. Way back when writing the daily facts, they knew that on Feb. 6th, I would be hurting. Neat! Maybe I should skim ahead to see what else is in store for me this year.

OK, that just had to be the pain pills talking. But, what is Lame Duck Day? I have never heard of it. Well, a quick internet search told me that it commemorates the 20th amendment.  Did you have to memorize amendments in school? I did, right before I completely forgot them. I guess I am off to find out what this celebrated addition to the US Constitution accomplished.

Ah ha. The 20th amendment has nothing to do with my shoulder blade pain. It defined the beginning and ending dates for terms of elected federal offices. So, the lame duck is the elected individual between the time he loses an election and ends his term.  The amendment was ratified in 1933 and moved the date a new President took office from March 4th (four months after his election) to January 20th. 

Mystery solved. I am off to rest my arm. Hope that everyone has a good start to their week. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment