Friday, March 2, 2012

The Challenge

Can I take a novel written for adults and rewrite it for Young Adults? My response: Sure! Why not? Then I asked the important question …What does Young Adult mean? Hey, I am nothing if not daring.

Then came the challenge…Could I take that same novel and write it for both Young Adults and a Hi-Lo audience? Here, I wised up. Completely bewildered, I had to ask what a Hi-Lo book was.

Hi-Lo books are high interest – low reading level books. Basically, stories written to encourage the struggling or reluctant reader to read. In other words, age appropriate material written at a lower reading level.

It is an interesting challenge. I can’t say that I out right accepted. But, rather, I would see what I could do.

My younger nephew is a reluctant reader. For him, it isn’t a matter of reading ability. He just prefers to be active.  My mission in life has been to get him to enjoy reading. Buying him a Kindle began him on this path. He reads more now, but still has a long way to go.

He is my inspiration for attempting this challenge. Just maybe, if I am really lucky, I could write a book he falls in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment