Friday, March 9, 2012

Walking More

Last month, I posted Sunday blogs following the theme of American Heart Month. In one of those posts, I mentioned that my husband and I had parked our car and walked places about 2 miles or less from the house.

Not all in our circle have meet this decree positively. It really amazes me the comments people make about a decision that does not affect them. 

One neighbor has made his mission in life to inform me (repeatedly) that the short distances I am parking the car won’t make a difference to environment. Frankly, I think every little bit helps. And, the new policy means that on average I only use my car twice a week. But, our decision was to exercise more.

My favorite comment was “Why don’t you just become Amish?”. Now, I have a lot of respect for people who live their beliefs despite how mainstream society treats them. However, it is not a lifestyle for me.

How did the Amish get pulled into my personal choice? Well, this friend knows more about me than most. I do not have a house phone line and rarely use my cellphone. About a year ago, I disconnected our television from both cable and satellite because it had not been used in 6 months. Most of the television I watch are British shows. The little television we watch is from DVDs, streaming video, and blu-rays.

While my husband and I have chosen to live a simpler lifestyle, I do not want to live the Amish one. I am very attached to my DVDs and MP3s. Yes, I know that I could order books in “Dead Tree” versions. Please, don’t make me give up my Kindle Touch or my Fire.

Most importantly, I live in South Central Florida. I can’t even image life with air conditioning. Actually, I can. I did it last August when ours died. It is not an experience I am eager to repeat.

Yes, we walk most places. It is a slower lifestyle. Amazingly, both of us, really enjoy this new pace. I get to speak to neighbors,watch the children climb on the local jungle gym, and pet the dog that lives three blocks away. All of which would be harder to do if I was speeding past in an automobile.

4 comments:

  1. There isn't hardly any downside toward parking more and walking more - versus all the upsides. As you noted, you put fewer miles on the car, less wear-and-tear, less exposure to the probability of accidents - all of which extends the life of a vehicle and makes it more valuable later. And you get the health perks - not just cardio, muscle tone, and any weight loss, but also emotional because walking produces feel-good chemicals.

    People who make the kinds of arguments like you describe are binary. They see everything as being one of only two sides. So if a solution isn't a perfect and total one, it therefore can't be good. It's a childlike reaction to questions a person is uncomfortable really thinking about and often actively opposes.

    Fortunately, the world is full of all shades of grey as well as vibrant color, even in Pleasantville!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IAOnaA3Ro

    They might also be surprised the Amish don't dress all in black and white, either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There should always be time to spend on yourself and your community. I miss the 'old days'. When you knew your neighbors name and watched out for each others kids in the neighbourhood. Great post, keep it up and enjoy. Breathing is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as simple but I do walk a lot more than I used to. It feels good to save the car and to use my own energy and I've found my fitness improved.

      Currently I'm looking at an E-book Reader (well my other half is buying one for me as she claims it will cut down on the book debris around the home) and hope to have as much fun as you. TV wise I do watch the odd show but usually you'll find me with a book in hand.

      Delete
  3. I tend to enjoy doing the opposite of what people expect. I say ignore others' opinions and do what feels right for you, but it sounds like you've already figured that out.

    ReplyDelete